Monday, January 03, 2005

Paris: Sensory Overload

Paris is like a sensory overload. I am not saying this just because the café and pastry shops have a lot of different deserts and I love anything with chocolate. Well that is true. It is a beautiful city. You don’t have to see a touristy place to find the beauty of Paris. Just take a hike in any part of Paris. On 2nd I first went to “Basilique du Sacre Coeur

You can see it in my photoblog site or web page in my profile on the right frame.

Sacre Coeur is a Church built in the 1875 (I think). It has a beautiful strained glasswork inside. It was so calm and quiet inside. I get this feeling inside any religious place. When I got to a Temple or when I use to go to a Masjid with my grandmother. I find the experience very calming.

I couldn’t take any inside pictures, as the photography was not allowed inside the Church. I found some tourist taking photos inside anyway. In my view that is the worst thing you can do. When you go to somebody’s home, you should follow the rules there. That’s your responsibility as a guest. Anyway. I have added the view of the Paris from the outside. And I was there pics too J. Though they didn’t come out very well.

This is one of the disadvantages of going alone. You are dependent of people who don’t understand your camera to take a picture 0f you. The rest of the day I spent walking through the city. Every building is a photo opportunity. I have uploaded some pictures of norma buildings – buildings which are not on any tourist map. These are banks, hotels and residential apartments and even they look beautiful. I think people here don’t like straight bland buildings. This is the sensory overload I was talking about. I found people taking picture of metal work in the building. I found an old lady trying the copy a leaf pattern on the curtain in the ground floor (first floor in US) apartment window.

Eating Tip: Eat at the non-touristy places. You get good food. Authentic food. Cheaper food. As an added bonus you get to meet local people. I had my lunch for about 5-6 E the similar stuff would have cost me 8-9 E at a tourist spot.

I also bought a Sim card and other necessary things today. Finally at 2 pm I left for the HEC Campus

No comments: